So you’re engaged. It suddenly hits you… what do I do next, how do I get from here to the wedding and make sure that everything needs to be done gets done.
Well the thing to remember is the important things will get done and if on the day you discover something that not is not done then it probably wasn’t that important and the wedding can still go ahead without it.
But to make things easier here is a good way to help you look at all the things that you could do and what sort of a time frame you should look at doing them in
9 TO 12 Months Before the Wedding
- Choose a wedding date (and time if you want to be really organized).
- Tell your parents, grandparents, siblings, and close relatives and friends.
- Engagement notice in the paper
- Hold Engagement party (before wedding planning gets too hectic)
- Hire a wedding planner (if you want one)
- Decide the style of wedding you would like (size, setting, theme….)
- Start researching vendors
- Decide upon your budget. This is heavily impacted by the style of your wedding.
- Contact them re availability and price (eg photographer, caterer, wedding planner, celebrant, musician, etc.) Are the quotes fitting your budget.
- Begin your guest list.
- If you are wanting to lose weight or just tone up start your new health plan now.
- Shop for your wedding rings.
- Discuss who will pay what expenses.
- Book your wedding venue.
- Choose and ask your attendants.
- Start shopping for bridal gown and bridesmaids dresses (ring ahead and make appointments)
- Discuss where you would like to go for your honeymoon.
6 to 9 Months
- If you haven’t already done so, choose gowns and accessories,
- Choose your bridesmaids’ dresses and accessories
- Start shopping for the mens’ suits.
- Discuss the requirements for marriage license and pre-marital counselling with your celebrant or minister.
- Select and discuss your color schemes with the wedding decorator and florist
- Book Vendors (If you are having a popular time of year you may need to book earlier, if less popular then later may be ok)
- Photographer & Videographer
- Hair and Makeup
- Music for Ceremony & reception
- Book your wedding day hire equipment or confirm what is supplied by your decorator (tables, chairs, linen, marquee, arch etc.).
- Finalise guest list
- Order invitations & stationary
- Decide upon a gift registry and select your gift choices.
- Start a record of gifts received & send thank you notes ASAP
3 to 6 Months
- Choose and purchase wedding rings
- Finalise wedding night accomodation and honeymoon accomodation
- Choose and order your wedding favors
- Book time off work for wedding and honeymoon
- Choose baker and style of wedding cake.
2 to 3 Months
- Check delivery date for gowns and Set a date for fittings.
- Remember to choose lingerie.
- Also, “something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue”
- Have engagement portraits taken.
- Send invitations.
- Finalise mens’ wedding attire.
- Meet with ceremony officiant to discuss
- Details of service
- Readings & vows
- Complete and lodge “Notice of Intended Marriage”
- Choose and book cars for the day
- Organise Hen’s Night, Buck’s Night & Bridal Shower
- Choose and purchase gifts for bridal party
- Organise an MC for the reception
- Confirm all honeymoon plans.
- Wedding dress fitting.
- Bridal Attendants fittings
- Consider whether you need a going-away outfit.
- Draw a map to direct your guests to the site(s), if necessary.
- Organise seating plan
- Hair and makeup trial
- Write speech
- Remind others that need to write speeches
- Discuss and put in writing photos required with photographer
- Finalise any rehearsals
- Finalise Menu
- Create an “Order of events” for the wedding day.
- Make sure your accessories are in order (rings, pillow, garter, etc.)
- Discuss music you would like played during first dance, garter removal and bouquet toss with DJ/Musician/entertainer and any other specific songs you would like.
- Pick up your wedding rings and ensure they fit.
- Purchase traveller’s checks, confirm honeymoon reservations.
- Pack for your honeymoon (including all paperwork).
- Wedding ceremony rehearsal.
- Make sure everyone (bridal attendants, family, ushers etc) Know what you would like them to do on the day.
- Final fittings to ensure all wedding attire fits
- Give final numbers to caterer.
- Confirm flowers and timing with florist.
- Create a wedding day emergency kit.
The day is finally here
- Relax, enjoy yourself. What isn’t done isn’t important.
- Allow plenty of time for dressing.
- Allow plenty of time for makeup and hair. Your hairdresser and Makeup artist can advise on how long they will need.
- Remember the rings and marriage license.
- The groom’s parents should be seated about 5 minutes before start time, the mother of the bride is normally seated last.
- Smile and Enjoy.